COVID-19 & The Ukraine War

Book with confidence

At Balkan Trails, we have always had flexible booking and cancellation conditions, and in these difficult times, we took these one step further with our COVID-19 peace of mind promise which our guests enjoyed in 2020.

Guaranteed refund choice 

We’re one of the few tour companies who’ve offered immediate refunds throughout the Coronavirus crisis in 2020, no questions asked.

Sadly, we had to cancel all tours for 2020. 90% of the travelers booked for 2020 requested a refund, which was processed immediately. You can read their feedback on our refund procedures on our Trustpilot page. The remaining 10% opted to postpone their trip to 2021 or 2022.

We’ll continue to refund your deposit if your tour is canceled due to Covid 19-related regulations in Romania or Bulgaria or if you’re unable to travel to Bulgaria and Romania due to the pandemic.

The war in Ukraine

Sadly, just as we thought travel was going to go back to normal, the war in Ukraine started. Since Romania and Bulgaria are NATO members, our security guarantees are fortunately on a different level. But we understand why you might be reluctant about planning a trip to our part of the world right now. So let us reassure you: if you need to cancel the trip due to the war in Ukraine, we’ll refund your deposit. No questions asked. So go ahead and ask us about planning your trip.

Travel insurance for Covid-19

While we do not offer travel insurance, we strongly suggest you purchase a travel protection plan that provides international coverage for Covid 19. We will refund your deposit if you are not able to come, but such insurance will be handy for claiming other costs, such as airline tickets.

Travel with confidence 

Our protocols are based on the European Commission’s guidelines, the WTTC (World Travel & Tourism Council), the World Tourism Organisation,  and local government regulations and include personal protection, extensive disinfecting, and social distancing measures.

When you travel with us, we’re doing everything in our power to keep you safe. Read on to find out more about the measure we take to do this.

General guidelines:

Since local rules and protocols are ever-changing, we’re constantly reviewing our itineraries to provide you with a safe experience. In case any major change is required, we’ll notify you ahead of time.

All our guides are fully vaccinated and will present their EU Digital COVID Certificate the first time you meet them.

Our guide/drivers might decide to modify the itinerary during the tour if appropriate social distancing cannot be achieved (for example, to avoid large crowds during your sightseeing tours).

Our guide/drivers are undergoing training on COVID-19 protocols. Upon arrival, your guide will brief you on local government regulations.

We will only work with restaurants and hotels that comply with strict protocols for hygiene and social distancing.


Single-use masks, paper tissues, and hand disinfectants will be made available in the vehicle used for your tour.

All touchpoints in the vehicle will be disinfected multiple times during the day.


We will only offer hotels that have specific COVID-19 protocols in place and comply with local government guidelines.

These measures include enhanced room cleaning, ventilation, social distancing, and regular disinfection of public areas.

Our recommendations for you:

Bring your own face masks and alcohol-based hand sanitizer. We are always able to supply you with more if needed.

Please check with your airline about their Covid-19 requirements before departure.

Purchase a travel protection plan that includes cover for medical and cancellation claims related to Covid-19.

Your bucket list just got a whole lot cooler!

Inquiry Form

Which country would you like to explore?(Required)
How far along are you in your trip planning process?(Required)
MM slash DD slash YYYY
If you're not sure of the exact date, just give us a rough idea of when you'd like to go.
How long will your vacation be?(Required)

Tour Inquiry Form

DD slash MM slash YYYY